It seems that we’re all full of grumps and groans in the UK today. Gridlock, expensive fuel costs, vehicle excise duty and other motorists all swell up into a melting pot of frustration, annoyance and upset. But fear not. In this list, we examine five reasons (in no particular order) as to why you should drive with a smile for at least today.
1) Modern cars are more efficient than ever before. This translates to better fuel economy, lower road tax and lower emissions. This is a win for everyone and a win for the environment.
2) The current car climate has a vehicle in just about every niche market you can possibly imagine. So if you like your coupe with 4 doors, that’s not a problem. Would sir care for a hugely powerful SUV that can hunker into the corners like s sports saloon? Step right this way. Whatever you can come up with, there’s probably one being sold. Somewhere.
3) The most efficient modern cars are truly grand tourers as they will simply soak up the miles (one manufacturer claims 2,000 even!) before a fill up at a forecourt.
4) Come rain or shine, you can be warm and snug or cool and relaxed as these days cars are comfortable, easy to drive and well thought out.
5) Freedom. Whilst it’s not a new thing, the car enables a journey to be undertaken with at least one other person (unless you’re taking the BAC Mono for a spin) to a location of your choice. You’ll get there relatively quickly, with a reasonable cost and hopefully in comfort. Possibly even in style depending on the motor of your choice. Just go back to the first time you took the car out on your own after passing your test. That singular experience of joy at simply being able to go, well, just wherever. The motorcar sums up a triumph of transport for almost everyone and this is the biggest and best reason to be cheerful as a motorist today.