Here at Car Articles, we like to try and keep you all as safe as we possibly can out on the road. We know however that modern life can be stressful and difficult. As a result, we’ve boiled down a list to five essentials that could well avert a disaster, if potentially even saving your life.
- Get a tyre problem checked immediately. Whether it is a slow puncture or a rip in a tyre, both of these could result in a major accident. Any car has only four contact patches with the road. To lose one could mean a serious collision.
- Check your consumables regularly. A car with too little engine oil will get hotter and possibly even damage itself. The result of this could be cracking and the need for a new engine.
- Have any steering change investigated quickly. A wheel pulling could mean a sign of mechanical failure of the column, track rod or suspension. Any of these could mean a loss of control whilst driving.
- Don’t ignore a weakening handbrake. Every time you use a handbrake (either a manual or a push button electronic system) there’ll be some gradual friction wear. If you have a manual lever based handbrake, you may note that you have to pull it further up. Do not wait until the lever it almost vertical before going to your mechanic, as you just might find that one day your car rolls away.
- You need a working horn for the road. Some car horn systems are very complicated and when they fail they can be a tough/expensive job to put right. However, imagine a scenario when another driver has failed to look and is about to merge into the space you are in when travelling at 70 miles per hour on the motorway. Then imagine your loved one is in the passenger seat on the same side as that car. Exactly.
We hope that these tips are useful to you and will ensure that you remain safe whilst out on the road – hopefully preventing a disaster.