After more than 10,800 people showed interest online in buying a new Ford GT, Ford received 6,506 fully completed applications from people around the world – including over 500 from the UK market alone – in the one-month window to apply to purchase the new EcoBoost-powered, carbon-fibre supercar during its first application window.
The number of applicants spiked in the last six days, during which 32 per cent of the total fully completed applications were completed before the window closed.
“We’re excited by the amount of enthusiasm fans are showing for the new Ford GT,” says Dave Pericak, director, Global Ford Performance. “This initial application window is just one of many ways fans and potential owners will have to connect with our all-new supercar even before it hits the streets.”
Ford is now reviewing applications from those 6,506 potential supercar buyers and will start notifying potential owners in the next 90 days.
Hundreds of registrants submitted videos with their applications during the month-long application window, hoping to bolster their chances of purchasing one of the first 500 new Ford GTs.
Creative applicants featured children, lighting effects, racing footage, revving engines, garage tours and life stories to show why they should own the all-new Ford GT.
The all-new production supercar is expected to start arriving in customers’ garages by the end of 2016.
While the initial application window is closed, Ford GT fans can continue building and sharing virtual models at www.FordGT.com.
“The Return” behind-the-scenes GT story
The dramatic 2016 return of the Ford GT as a road and race car is being captured as a five-part series that can be viewed on YouTube. Culminating in a one-hour long documentary, “The Return” features company chairman Bill Ford, Raj Nair, Product Development executive vice-president, and Dave Pericak, Ford Performance director , to show the development of the Ford GT and its adventures on the race track racing around the world in both the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (North America) and FIA World Endurance Championship (global). Watch parts one to three at http://bit.ly/1ZISKpc of the following schedule:
- Episode 1: “The Return: The Decision” – Bill Ford, Raj Nair and Dave Pericak discuss what it will take to be successful with the all-new Ford GT.
- Episode 2: “The Cutting Edge” – Ford GT represents the best and newest technology Ford has to offer – elements that will benefit the full product line-up.
- Episode 3: “Let’s Race” – Tells the story of the Ford GT’s racing debut at the Rolex 24 At Daytona.
- Episode 4: “A Driver’s Perspective” – Tells the story from the drivers’ point of view, from what it was like to be selected to competing at the Le Mans 24 Hours (coming soon).
- Episode 5: “The Road to Le Mans” – The race to the starting line comes to a close at last at the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours (coming soon).
We’re hoping to have more coverage of the new 2016 Ford GT at a few events later in the year. Make sure to tune back in later for more.