Autocar has named Gordon Murray as the number one automotive hero of 2013.
Murray is famed historically for designing more than 50 race-winning Formula 1 cars and the McLaren F1 supercar, and latterly for his all-new lightweight city car concept as well as its revolutionary iStream production process.
Autocar editor-in-chief Steve Cropley comments: “Murray has worried about the masses losing their right to personal mobility. He’s seen a possible problematic future for motoring and has done something about it, and that is the main reason why he is the winner of the 2013 Autocar Hero of the Year award.”
Autocar believes there is a very big difference between a hero and a mere high achiever; they need to be motivated by the love of cars, their job, the people in it and those who benefit from their activity rather than the financial rewards.
The 2013 Autocar Heroes
1. Gordon Murray Gordon Murray Design
2. Ralf Speth CEO, Jaguar Land Rover
3. Elon Musk Tesla Motors boss
4. Ron Dennis Group chairman, McLaren
5. Adrian Newey Chief designer, Red Bull
6. Ulrich Hackenberg Board member for development of Audi and head of development co-ordination for the VW Group