Webuyanycar.com asked nearly 3,000 motorists who travelled regularly with another person, what they did in a car on long journeys:
- Over 62% of both men and women said it gave them a chance to ‘discuss their relationship’.
- 92% of couples discuss big plans like their next holiday, plans for the house or joint purchases like which car they should buy.
- 95% of all respondents gossiped about family members and people they know.
- 59% of both men and women admit to arguing sometimes or often on a long journey.
In the age of always-on phones, TVs and computers, the online car buyer found that the car is one of the last remaining places where couples get the opportunity to discuss their relationship, tell each other jokes, talk about friends and family members and decide on big plans for the future.
The results also revealed some differences between men and women:
- 82% of women are likely to sing at some point on a long car journey, 15% higher than men.
- 85% of men tell jokes, 5% more than women.
- 53% of all men said they were likely to ‘get romantic,’ 10% higher than women.
Rich Evans, Head of Technical Services at webuyanycar.com said: “The lack of uninterrupted quality time means couples rarely have the time to discuss their plans or air the issues which are important to them. The results of our survey show a long car journey could offer one of the few opportunities for couples to have a meaningful and uninterrupted conversation about the things which are important to them both.”